[TN-Bird] Adult Lesser Black-backed Gull and Franklin's at Reelfoot

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:57:33 EDT

Oct. 11-12, 2008
Memphis to Reelfoot
Dyer and Lake Co. TN

Heading north on Saturday, I found 2 adult Bald Eagles and 2 MERLIN at
Heloise. There was not a single bird at Island 13, 4 wheelers?  On  Tiptonville
Bar, a single immature Bald Eagle and a few Killdeer on Saturday but  19
Ring-billed Gulls showed up Sunday. I hurried to get to Reelfoot to see what
might be
coming to the gull roost, I was not disappointed, almost immediately in  flew
a full adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL, my first adult on the lake. Glen
Criswell had found an adult off 79 highway years ago, which I  photographed for
the area's first adult record.

At the lake roost, there were a half dozen Herring, 24 Ring-billed  and 5
FRANKLIN'S GULLS. Forster's Terns were sitting and flying everywhere,  a
conservative estimate of 200 plus birds but nothing else of tern note. There
are over
1,000 White Pelicans and thousands of Cormorants in the area. Other  Lake
birds were Great Blue, Great Egret, Coot, Pied-billed Grebe, Mallards,
Blue-winged and Green-winged Teal plus Ruddy Duck pods scattered around. Nine
SNOW
GEESE out in the stump fields and surrounded by fishermen were a  surprise, 6
Snow and 3 Blue morph.

Sunday, I added Bonaparte's Gull and was treated to an amazing number of
warblers. The wind damaged trees were full of dead leaves and evidently brought

on a massive hatch of web worms and insects. I have not seen the numbers
shaking  the trees since Mike Todd, Mark Greene and I experienced a spring fall
out
a few  years back near Porter's Gap. There would be dozens in a single tree
until the  wind picked up. I sat in one place and recorded: Blue-winged (1),
Tennessee,  Nashville, Parula, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Yellow-rumped,
Black-throated  Green, Blackburnian (5), Yellow-throated, Redstart, Pine, Black
and
White plus  later at the water's edge Palm, Northern Waterthrush and Common
Yellowthroat.

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

                       MAP RESOURCES