[TN-Bird] Re: Active Wood Thrush nest!

  • From: "Boves, Than James" <tboves@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>, TN-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:47:41 -0400

The timing of nesting and survival of nestlings and fledglings is very
interesting to me as well!  In general the relationships are not well
understood and could use a lot more research.  In studies of Cerulean Warblers
in the Cumberland Mountains we have not seen differences in nest survival (or #
of fledglings produced) as the season progresses (as Scott mentioned), but then
again we don't have a cowbird problem.  We actually see a decrease in the # of
fledglings produced/successful nest as the season progresses (possibly b/c of
calcium limitation?).
This year we had several late nests where we observed another potential cost of
late nesting.  At 4 late nests this season, the males associated with the nests
completely left the female to raise her young alone.  We are not sure if the
males were still present in the general area but just not helping raise their
young, or if they had already left for migration.  We had never seen this
happen in over 300 nests monitored previously.  Additionally, at about 8 late
nests this season, the young were not exposed to any cerulean warbler song (as
far as we could tell).  We hadn't seen this previously either, and it seemed
that the hot weather affected the amount male cerulean warblers sang (which
means that young cerulean warbler males would not learn their appropriate song
- Hooded warblers continued to sing at this time however).  Of course this is a
small sample, but these could be additional reasons why early nesting may be
beneficial to individuals.

Than Boves
Knoxville, TN