[TN-Bird] "AUDUBON'S" Warbler - Knox

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 23:02:09 -0400 (EDT)

Friday evening (18 April 2008) about 6:15pm I had an adult male
"AUDUBON'S" YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER in the woods in our yard in
west Knox Co, TN.  It was in nearly full breeding plumage.  It
was keeping company with a "Myrtle" Yellow-rumped Warbler.

I had been mowing the yard and stopped to refuel and get a drink
before finishing up the back.  I noticed some warbler activity
in the trees and went to get the binoculars.  From the deck I
spotted two Yellow-rumped Warblers.  One was giving a whisper
song that sounded a bit odd.  I finally got a good view of both
birds which were coming well into breeding plumage.  I noted
the white throat on one of the birds and it hit me, 'wait, that
other one had a yellow throat, that's not right.'  I've been
travelling so much lately it took a second for it to sink in
that I shouldn't be seeing an Audubon's here in TN.   The two
birds were in close company and I was able to make a good
comparison between them for a couple of minutes.  After I felt
I had seen all the necessary field marks, I ran inside to get
the camera but the birds were gone when I had gotten back.
They had been working their way along the ridge while I had
watched them.

The "Audubon's" was a very dark bird overall with a dark
un-patterned head with white eye-crescents and yellow throat.
The two white wingbars were connected forming a large white
patch with some thin vertical black markings between the two
wingbars.  In addition to the yellow throat, there was yellow
in the usual places including the crown, on the upper flanks,
and the "pat of butter" on the rump.  The yellow throat was
clearly defined along the edges.

The "Myrtle" was typical and differed by having a bright
white throat, whitish supercillum and pale surrounding the
dark ear-patch making the earpatch stand out giving a very
different look from the unpatterned, dark head of the
"Audubon's".

I listened to the "Audubon's" song on the Stokes' Western CDs
and feel it is a good match to the song I heard.

This is the second "Audubon's" Warbler I've found in TN (the first
was along the Clinch River near Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery in
Anderson County on the Norris CBC a few years ago.  I've seen
hundreds of "Audubon's" in the west (mostly in CA) and thousands
of "Myrtle".  "Audubon's" Warbler is a Review (sub)Species in TN.

Oh, and I guess this is yardbird #152.5 :-)

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES