[tn-bird] AK year threshold at last

  • From: Davchaffin@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 19:41:24 EDT

TN birders,
I did something for the first time since my first trip to Alaska in 1989, and
that was reaching the yearly reporting threshold for AK, which is 194
species.  I know it is bragging, but I cannot help myself.  Besides, it gives
me an opportunity to thank some TN birders.

Spent total of 6 weeks in AK, including 4 week period of last 2 May weeks and
first 2 June weeks, and currently 2 weeks in late July/early Aug.  Spent a
total of 15 weeks in the state in 1994, but my species total was not near the
threshold, and it was quite a bit lower in '94.  AK adds 3-4 species most
years to the state list, and a few recent additions include male
black-throated blue warbler and Eurasian golden plover.  Hovever, one of the
biggest difference between 1994 and 2002 was that critical May-June overlap
period, and well as where I went this year.  Areas covered included Dutch
Harbor, St Paul, winter weekend trip to get great spotted woodpecker as a
lifer north of Willow, Gambell, and backpack trip to the North Slope area
specifically for the gray headed chickadee.  Well trained eyes of other good
birders who I was birding with made a hugh difference.  Craig Roberts, who is
a fellow physician and 1997 Attu roommate of mine was at the woodpecker vigil
with me.  Numerous Chattanooga TOS members making up the Gambell contingent,
including Kevin Calhoun, Judy Newsome,  Bonnie Johnson, Clyde Blum,
Roger(friend of Kevin's now residing outside the state), Daniel and Kathy
Jacobson, and Tommie Rogers(former Chatt TOSer, now transplanted in FL and
tearing it up there, birdwise).  With all these trained eyes, very little if
anything was missed on Gambell, and Kevin's previous post has covered how the
Volunteers did themselves proud there.  John Henderson, my usual partner in
crime on AK jaunts, accomapnied me to Dutch, and John, Daniel, and I were
together on St Paul, where the leadership included TN birds own Rick Knight.
The 7 birders and two leaders on the chickadee trip were all top drawer.  One
of the 7, John Shrader, reached 800 ABA shortly after the chickkadeetrip on
Dutch Harbor, I heard later.  Thanks to all these folks for your helpful
spirit.

Back to the finish and the birds.  On Wed afternoon, my yr list stood at 193,
one  away  from the threshold.  I had heard from the nearby Alaska Bird
Observatory that many Bohemian waxwings were being seen between Fairbanks and
Tok, so I decided to drive 2.5 hrs south as far as I could, then return.  In
1.5 hrs, I had reached Delta Junction, the terminus of the Alaskan Hwy.
Slightly south of Delta, I hit paydirt.  Three different BoWa were teed up on
the top of spruce trees.  Bingo!  In a few more miles, I reached Sawmill
Creek Rd, the entrance to the Delta Barley Project.  On the drive in, I had a
dispalying upland sandpiper.  It was not a year bird, but a new burrough
bird(some of you are saying about now"He's been in Alaska too long!).  I had
decided to stop at the barley project to try my luck for Western Bluebird.
This is the only reliable spot to get them but they crashed in a '97 snow
storm and had not been seen since. They still were not seen, but my luck
changed at the end of the long straightaway in the road.  Perched on the
lowest telephone wire was an adult N Hawk Owl.  A bonus bird!  On the way
out, a sharp-tailed grouse flushed, giving me a good view of it's head before
flushing, and the distinctive tail as it flew away from me. Three new year
birds.  Tried for the ruffed grouse slightly south but dipped on that one.

And I did not pish or use a tape for a single alcid!

David Chaffin
Cleveland TN
temporarily in Fairbanks AK

Chris Sloan, have been catching up on email and thoroughly enjoyed your
narritive of the May AZ trip.  Hope the buff-colored nightjars hang in there.