[TN-Bird] A welcome NEW yard bird!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:10:57 EST

Greetings again from the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville just a few
blocks east of the Cumberland River's old Cleece's Ferry landing across from
Bell's Bend in Davidson County where I just now had a brand new yard bird.
I am now singing out the following "Dee-original" parody with apologies to
the writer of the lovely song, "Gonna Find Me a Bluebird:"

Well, I found me a bluebird,
Perching up on a wire,
Just above my bird feeders,
And her breast was afire!

With the bright Sun a shining,
And her orange ablaze,
Oh, is she house hunting,
For the fam-ly she'll raise?                            (End of singing.
Happy, now?)

Wouldn't it be great if she found a hole in one of my trees?  That's doubtful
as my woodpeckers all "dug out" up high in the dead ash tree.  Actually, I
did get off a couple of shots with the digital from about 30 feet away before
she flew to another wire about 150 feet away where I got off two more shots.
The first two look good, and when I zoom it out, I can definitely see her
fairly
well in last two photos.  I'll have to get someone to help me again before I
can get her on the computer, so it may be a while, but she was IN MY YARD and
is the FIRST bluebird I've ever seen here.  I guess she's an early anniversary
present as February 14 is the 26th anniversary of my first full day as a
Nashville resident.  I couldn't ask for a nicer present!  Unfortunately, I
suspect
that she was just passing through.

Considering the way all my feeder species are behaving lately, I think all
the birds' hormones are really stirring.  They're all acting real feisty and
making all kinds of "overtures" toward one another including everything from
"flirting" to out and out territorial battles.  Hunger seems to win, however,
as
they all end up in the evening eating greedily from the same "Smorgabird" as if
they never expect to find food again!

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson