[TN-Bird] A surprise visitor

  • From: van harris <shelbyforester1223@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 13:56:50 -0600

As the dogs and I returned from our walk through our S/D in nw Shelby
County, I noticed what I took to be a leaf, fluttering from tre oak tree in
the corner of my yard.  As I watched, it rose swiftly above the maple tree
in my neighbor's yard and as swiftlt dropped almost to the ground before
shooting upward again.  As we drew closer, I realized that it was actually
a Red Tree Bat, evidently awakened from hibernation by the 60F weather.

I have observed Red Tree Bats flying on Christmas Day in Shelby Forest, but
this was a first sighting for the yard, mammal species number 11.

Van Harris
Millington, TN