[TN-Bird] Re: A suggestion regarding reporting at eBird hotspots

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 13:39:08 -0400

Both Daniel and Bill have good ideas.  Bill is correct that the quickest way is
to merge your personal location with the hotspot rather than moving each
checklist individually.  Before you either move your checklist to a hotspot or
merge a personal location with a hotspot, please be sure that you were actually
in the hotspot when you made the observations.  If you were near the hotspot
but not actually in it do not merge the locations.  Many large hotspots have
sublocations within them that have also been designated as hotspots; if you
were birding in one of these sublocations, you should use that rather than the
larger hotspot.  You may find this link helpful:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/new-location-management-tools-launched

On a related topic, I have noticed that sometimes birders will bird a large
area, perhaps 15-20 miles, and then report all their observations into a nearby
hotspot.  Please try not to do this as it makes it impossible for researchers
to meaningfully analyze habitat data for your sightings.  It
you birded, say, at Cove Lake State Park and then drove around for another hour
or so, you should send in one checklist for the park and a separate one for
birds seen after leaving the park rather than putting all your observations
for the day in the Cove Lake SP hotspot.
Should you have any question or require assistance with regard to hotspots,
please contact me off list and I will be glad to try to help you.
Carole GobertKnoxville, TNAdministrator for eBird hotspots in Tennesseecpgobert
at hotmail.comCC: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: littlezz@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] Re: A suggestion regarding reporting at eBird hotspots
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 17:33:46 -0500
To: dbe2g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is definitely a good idea and something that eBird officially encourages.
The simple way is to "edit" the personal location (from the "manage my
locations" page), then select to "merge" your personal location with the
hotspot.  All your checklists for this personal location will be transfered to
the hotspot with this one action.
Bill PulliamHohenwald TN
On Aug 23, 2012, at 4:45 PM, Daniel B. Estabrooks wrote:This occurred to me
while I was organizing my eBird reports the other day, and I thought I'd pass
it along to my fellow birders as a suggestion: If you have checklists from a
personal location that has been marked by someone else as a hotspot, please
change the location of your lists from the personal site to the hotspot. That
way, when people search on the hotspot, they're getting a complete account of
everything that's been reported there. This can be an especially big problem
with sites like the MTSU ponds, where there are probably a hundred checklists
that apply to personal locations and not the hotspot that's been set up there.
I had to go through and change all mine, which was a little tedious, but I
think it's worth it for the sake of having quality data.
Daniel EstabrooksRutherford County