[TN-Bird] A new birding locale

  • From: Cynthia Routledge <routledges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 15:06:52 -0500

Montgomery County
Clarksville, TN
May 8, 2011
Steve and I discovered a "new" place to bird today in Clarksville.  It's the
new Fort Defiance Interpretive Center over looking the Cumberland River off New
Providence Blvd at boot hill.  We went out there on a whim to check it out as
it just recently opened to the public and were pleasingly surprised.  With
paved trails that gentle S-curve through mature hardwood and cedar trees, it
affords good looks at treetop level for migrants and woodland species.  It also
has good secondary and shrubby understory in sections as well as open
power-line clear cut area that slopes down to the river that has good wood edge
and secondary habitat.
We arrived about noon and were able to get good looks at Kentucky, Tennessee
and Blackpoll Warblers, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Great Crested Flycatchers,
Summer Tanager, White-eyed and Red-eyed Vireos and a Swainson's Thrush to name
a few.  We only hung out about an hour, as temp were approaching 90,  but can
see how this place could be great at the "right" time of the day and year.

As always,
Happy birding..
<")
  ( \
  / |`  Cyndi and Steve Routledge
"When one tugs at a single thing in Nature,
he finds it attached to the rest of the world."
~John Muir

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES