[TN-Bird] A day of "firsts"- Hamblen County

  • From: "Ginger Goolsby" <vgoolsby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRDS" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 14:56:32 -0500

I?m Ginger Goolsby and I live in Morristown, Hamblen County, and while this
may be the last weekend for Project Feederwatch counting, it has been a day
of firsts for me.
Before I left for work this morning I saw a pair of Eastern bluebirds
checking out my bluebird box, so I?m keeping my fingers crossed. I also had
a lone chipping sparrow ? the first of the year - join the whitethroats and
song sparrows at my ground feeder.
When I went home for lunch just now, much to my surprise and delight, I had
a pair of purple finches at my black oil feeder ? these are, to my
knowledge, the first purple finches I?ve ever had at my feeder. I?ve had
house finches (whose numbers have been down considerably this winter), but
they certainly pale beside the purple finch.

I know my firsts are insignificant to many of the reports I have read on
TN-Bird, but hey ? I live in the city and I?m still a novice!!!