[TN-Bird] A Seige of Green Herons under siege.

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 20:02:15 EDT

July 6, 2005
Riverport Road
Shelby Co. TN

Poking around the wet areas of Horn Lake Cut Off, which parallels Riverport
Road that leads you into Ensley Bottoms, I found a large gathering of Green
Herons. I counted 27 immature birds and 15 adults in one hole and 7 more birds
in the other areas for a total of 49!! That is my high count for this species
 and having 42 in one sweep of the glasses was pretty neat.

There are a couple of loose breeding colonies of Green Herons near by and
evidently they had a banner breeding year. A group of herons is sometimes
called
 a siege and after watching a little while, I found some of these birds were
actually under siege.

A mink was playing or not playing with a few of these birds, chasing them
off the floating logs. It would pursue one until it flew and then chase
another,
 swimming or running from log to log. I think the little mighty mite had a
big  meal on its mind. This is my third encounter with Mink at this location.
We
once  watched as an adult carried a small youngster from one location to
another. It would stop occasionally, put the young down then pick it up and
start out again.

I got one distant photo of this siege under siege........ You never know
what you will see next!

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA