[tn-bird] Re: A Sad Ending to the Loon @ Adair Park

  • From: John Devereux Joslin <jdjoslin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 06:51:01 -0400

Leigh,
    There are researchers in the northern portions of the US and Canada
who have been studying loons for some time.  One possible cause of loon
mortality (among many) is mercury poisoning (They can accumulate it in
their bodies from the fish they eat.).  There may be groups interested
in the body of this loon, I don't know.  Does anyone else know of groups
or individuals studying loons?  The Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology
might have some leads.
    Just a thought if you (or anyone) want to pursue it.
--Dev Joslin
Oak Ridge, TN