[TN-Bird] 8/30/04 Big Sandy Area & KY Long-tailed Jaeger

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:26:04 -0500

08/30/04
Big Sandy (Pace Point) area
Henry Co.
KY Lake Dam (Long-tailed Jaeger)

I began this morning hoping for a few migrant passerines, and a little bit of
mud somewhere on KY Lake. I got very little of either, but did have my 1st of
the year Yellow-bellied Flycatcher playing hide and seek with me from the
dense, shady cover they like, near Pace Point. Only warbler of the day was a
Yellow.

Water levels had jumped back up on KY Lake, and there was no mud to be found.
Pace Point produced only about 50 Ring-billed Gulls, 5 Caspian Terns, and a
single Spotted Sandpiper.

At this point I called Hap Chambers to check on her Long-tailed Jaeger at KY
Dam. It was still there so the only sensible thing to do seemed to be drive a
couple of hours to KY Dam and get a little more familiar with juvenile
Long-tailed Jaegers. I arrived and there were several birders there when I got
there, and after just a few minutes the bird was relocated, though very
distant.

After decent, but distant views from a couple of vantage points, Dave Roemer,
Robert Dever, and I decided to rent a john boat and (hopefully) get some better
looks at the bird. This was an adventure in itself, but we quickly got right up
on the bird for some good looks and marginal photo opportunities (a rocking
john boat in the middle of KY Lake not being the steadiest of platforms). We
got good looks a couple of times, but didn't want to harry the bird and went
back to the marina with smiles on our faces. After everyone else left for home,
Hap and I were treated to some great looks as the bird flew by our us no more
than 30-40 yards off of the overlook, a couple of times. We had hoped for
another close landing like they were treated to yesterday, but no luck. We also
got to see a patented Jaeger chase of a Caspian Tern.

I got a few marginal to decent photos of the bird from the boat, I will be
getting them posted shortly. I believe there were some good photos taken by
others of the bird, hopefully some will be posted for all to enjoy. For anyone
thinking of going for it, I recommend it, but patience may be needed. It spends
a lot of its time well out over 1/2 mile from the overlook, and can seemingly
turn up out of nowhere after not being seen recently. At this distance it's
clearly a Jaeger, and structural clues and at times even plumage clues are
visible, but it may take a while to really get a good look at this very
crisply-patterned bird.

Good birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN