[TN-Bird] Re: 7 Mississippi Kites, Henry County

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "knoxmartin2@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: yodergoat@xxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 20:00:53 -0400 (EDT)

As I have posted in the past, I was involved with a Mississippi Kite
reintroduction program for almost 20 years, first at the Memphis Zoo where I
was coordinator of the Raptor Rehabilitation Program, and later as director of
the Mid-South Raptor Center also in Memphis. During that period over 300
juvenile kites were trapped and removed from "problem" nests in Kansas and sent
to us for reintroduction in their historic habitat along the Mississippi Flyway
in the Mid-South. While the majority of the birds were released in the lower
Mid-South around Memphis/Shelby County, almost 100 birds were released in the
Henry County areas in the neighborhood of Paris Landing State Park. No birds
have been released in almost ten years so these Henry County birds are
certainly not from those originally released, but I would like to think (hope!)
that maybe they are descendants of some of those original released Kansas
birds. I am sorry to say that we have never received a single band return on
any of the originally released birds so I have no way of knowing if any
survived the long migration to South America in the fall and then the return to
the US the following spring, but hopefully some did. The instances of kite
sightings by MTOS members and others have increased from only a few in a season
in the 50's and 60's to hundreds a season now. I have personally seen flocks in
the Agricenter area where the raptor center is located of over 100 on several
occasions, and one flock had well over 150 individuals. Hopefully the
reintroduction program had a small part in this dramatic increase in the
numbers of this special bird.

Knox Martin
Mid-South Raptor Center
Memphis, Shelby County