[TN-Bird] 7 Islands field trip results

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 20:59:54 -0400

TN-birders,

Eleven folks braved our coldest temperatures yet this fall to go birding at our
newest state park. In all we had a checklist of 58 species seen and/or heard.
Arguably our best bird was a Merlin see by Chris Welsh as he was catching up to
our group. Unfortunately not a one of us got a glimpse of it!

We had some of the expected wintering birds in the form of 2 Bald Eagles,
Northern Harrier, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Golden & Ruby-crowned Kinglets,
Hermit Thrushes, Yellow-rumped Warbler, and Swamp, White-throated &
White-crowned sparrows.

We also had some resident species that are still hanging around such as Tree
Swallow (about 150!), Gray Catbird, Common Yellowthroat, Black-throated Green
Warbler.

Other interesting finds included 4 nice Wood Ducks, Double-crested Cormorant,
Lesser Yellowlegs, American Kestrel, House & Winter wrens, Brown Thrasher, 7
Palm Warblers, and a female Indigo Bunting.

Thanks to all those who came out to enjoy the birds and the walk.

Ron Hoff
Clinton, TN