[TN-Bird] 7 Islands W.R. - 6/17

  • From: "Shane H. Williams" <shanehwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Bird List" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:34:29 -0400

I dragged my nieces with me to 7 Islands (Knox Co.) today from ~12:30 - 3:00pm.
We walked the length of Kelly Lane and back. The surprise was an adult
Red-headed
Woodpecker near the end. I ran into Wayne Schacher who thought it might be a
new species for the refuge (it's not on the checklist sign at least). After
speaking with him I saw another woodpecker briefly near where the trailheads
meet Kelly Lane. It had a long beak with an overall grayish appearance and
showed a whitish rump when flying away. I'm not sure if it was a juvenile
Red-headed or a badly lit Northern Flicker (I don't remember seeing white
secondaries). I also noticed Gadwall and Bufflehead were not on the refuge
checklist sign at the parking lot--both of which I've seen here in the past.

notables:
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat - ~9
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 1