[TN-Bird] 7 Islands Refuge Sunday morning, April 18

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:07:26 -0400

Had an interesting day even before I got to 7 Islands Wildlife Refuge in
east Knox County, Tennessee.  At the foot of the exit ramp from I-40 (exit
402) there were 2 wild turkeys on a small grassy plot just by the road.  One
took off and the other stayed so I could observe it until a car came up
behind me.  A couple miles further down the road on Maples, a doe stood by
the side of the road. I stopped to let it cross.

Finally arrived at the refuge feeling I'd already had my excitement for the
day.

The air was filled with the songs of rufous sided towhees, song sparrows,
common yellow throats and field sparrows.  One bright male common yellow
throat was singing in the shrubs right beside the paved road; why on earth
do they call them common?  He was brilliant.

After walking around a couple of hours, I was on my way back to the parking
lot on the paved road when a deer crossed in front of me, coming through the
barb wire fence and heading up the wooded hill on the other side.  I looked
back in the direction from which she had come and there was a wild turkey in
the distance.  It was near the Homestead Trail where the bird banding took
place a couple weeks ago, at the edge of the mown field.  It walked into the
tall dry grasses as I watched.

Other birds seen include:

Bluejays (many)
a brown thrasher
cardinals
red winged black bird
starling
turkey vulture
robin
Carolina chickadee
mourning doves

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee