[TN-Bird] 5/2/05, Panther Creek Park, Hamblen Co.

  • From: "Ben Britton" <benbrdn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 17:07:18 +0000

I spent about 3 1/2 hours this morning in the park.  I started at the top
around the picnic shelters and worked my way down to the flat lands.  I
recorded 61 species, with these highlights;

Great blue heron (2), Wood duck (2), Broad-winged hawk, Wild turkey, Spotted
sandpiper, E.pewee, Great crested flycatcher, tree swallow

Wood thrush, Gray-cheeked thrush (2), Brown thrasher, Red-eyed vireo (4),
eleven warblers, incld; Tennessee, Blk-throated green, Pine (5), Palm,
Blackpoll, Black and white, ovenbird, and hooded.

Summer tanager, Scarlet tanager (3), Rose-brsted grosbeak, Indigo bunting,
White-throated sparrow, and Northern oriole.

Also; this weekend I kept an eye out in the backyard in between the weather
situations.  I live in Eastern Hamblen Co. near Frank Lorino Park.  I
observed a flock of 9 large shorebirds heading East to West against the gray
sky.  My binoculars showed prominent black and white pattern on the wings,
which led me to believe these to be Willets.  I also had my first catbird
(4/29), Chat, and Yellowthroat.  On my sunflower feeder, had Blue grosbeak
4/28 and Rose-breasted female (4/30).  I also had about 120 cedar waxwings
inthe Black-cherry and neighbors holly trees, a N.oriole and an Orchard
oriole within an hour of each other, and finally a small flock of 5
Bobilinks(4/30) flying over (doing the winka blinka calls).  Pretty good
stuff for bad weather.

Ben Britton

Morristown, TN