[TN-Bird] 4/23/2011/Port Royal Historic State Park/Robertson County (I think)

  • From: Duane Rice <drbirdsong4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:15:02 -0500

Birdnerdz,
While checking my Bluebird trail at Port Royal on Saturday morning, trying to
get ahead of yet another storm front, I decided to slow down and take time to
do some birding, especially since Radnor was such a bust on Friday (bad
timing)(midday).
Anyway, the rain never materialized while I was there, but the birds certainly
did.
For those of you unfamiliar with Port Royal, the are two trails, one on each
side of the Red River. Until only recently, only the south side of the trails
has been open, and that is the lesser of the two, both as far as trails go and
birds/wildlife too.
Last year, the north side was under water after the flood in May. However,
since then, the maintenence crew has done a remarkable job of bringing the
trail back to life, even though there are still some soggy places and still
plenty of flood debris(trees) wedged in some of the trees in the woods, which
you have to detour around, but without much difficulty. Enough already. What
about the birds?

Eastern Bluebird
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Prothonotary Warbler
Indigo Bunting (FOY)
Yellow-breasted Chat (FOY)
Red-eyed Vireo
White-eyed Vireo
Louisiana Waterthrush (FOY)
Common Yellowthroat (FOY)
Eastern Phoebe
Pileated Woodpecker
Summer Tanager
American Robin
American Goldfinch
Turkey Vulture
Northern Cardinal
White-throated Sparrow
Blue Jay
Barn Swallow
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Eastern Kingbird
Barred Owl
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Mourning Dove
Red-tailed Hawk
Worm-eating Warbler (FOY)
Northern Parula
Yellow-throated Warbler
American Crow
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Belted Kingfisher
Great Blue Heron
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren

As usual, there were a few I couldn't identify with certainty, so they remain a
mystery, until I become a better birder. Until then, Ill have to wait for the
light to come on.
Oh yes, there are Bluebird and Chickadee chicks in some of the boxes.
Let's hope I don't lose them to flood waters, like I did last May.

Spring it on! ( sorry, I couldn't help myself. Well, I could, but I didn't want
to)
Duane Rice
Tri-county Corners

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan