[TN-Bird] 4 Speciesof Loons - Pace Point!

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:12:13 EST

Feb. 21-22, 2004
Pace Point
Herny Co. TN

Finally after seeing two other Yellow-billed Loons in TN but not well enough
to put the species on my state list, I now have hit number 375 for TN.

Not only is there a Yellow-billed Loon but there are 3 Pacific and 3
Red-throated among the 250 Common Loons. The Yellow-billed Loon was seen late
on
Saturday to the northeast of the Point, 90% of all the loons are in the TN
River
channel rather than Big Sandy. Two of the Pacific are on the TN River side and
one is off of Rocky Point. Two immature Red-throated are on the Big Sandy side
and an adult is on the TN River side.

The Yellow-billed was with 2 Common Loons and appears to be an immature that
has already put on most of its first summer back feathering showing very large
white checking much larger than the pattern on the new coats of a few Common
Loons that are molting.

I would think late afternoon would be the best time to look. I'll be going
back up one day in the middle of the week. The photos taken are very poor but
show enough of the bulk and coloration compared to the Common to verify the ID
in my mind.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA