[TN-Bird] 2 new yard birds in Gibson County

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 06:57:15 -0700 (PDT)

Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Trenton, Gibson County
Yesterday I had 2 new birds for my yard in the Mt. Orange community, just west
of Trenton in Gibson County. Neither was really that unexpected and both were
overdue.

The first was a Fish Crow that I heard and saw as I was home for lunch. I heard
it in the distance at first and it kept getting closer, calling over & over,
until it finally flew right over the yard. I've had fish crows in the past
within just a few miles of my yard but this was the first for this location.

The second new bird was heard last night as I was feeding the new puppy. I
heard in the distance the distinctive calling of a Barred Owl. I walked around
to the front of the house and heard it calling a couple of more times. I've now
had all 4 permanent resident owls for the yard list. I'd almost given up on
getting a Barred because there is no bottomland near my house. There is however
a big patch of woods not far away and this is where the owl was calling from.

These were yard birds 149 & 150, respectively.

Chipping Sparrows and Pine Warblers have begun singing consistently in the last
2 days, Eastern Bluebirds are building nests and the female Purple Martins have
finally arrived.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN