[tmp] Re: Voice Choice for Talk Files

  • From: Laz <accessibleelectronics@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:34:40 -0500

Hi Akbar,

VoiceBox as well as RBClip uses SAPI5 voices. The Microsoft Speech
Platform voices are not SAPI5 voices, so they won't work with either
VoiceBox or RBClip. As far as I know, they only work with 3 programs,
NVDA, Balabolka, and the Rockbox Utility last two versions.
Supposedly, the version of WindowEyes which is being given away for
users of Microsoft Office 10 and above is supposed to work with them
now, but I have no experience with this at all.

if you want more voices for use with either VoiceBox or RBClip, then
you'll need to get your hands on more SAPI5 voices. If you wish to use
the voice from the Microsoft Speech Platform that I use on our
players, Zira Pro, then you'll have to get the latest version of the
Rockbox utility from:
http://download.rockbox.org/rbutil/win32/RockboxUtility-v1.4.0.zip and
follow the below instructions to get the runtime engine and voices for
using the microsoft Speech Platform:

The voice that speaks the menu items is Zira Pro. The voice file was
created using the Rockbox Utility. There's an audio tutorial which
shows you how to use the Rockbox Utility to create a different voice
and to generate talk files for your folders and files, so you can have
the same voice speak everything on your player.

The Microsoft Speech Platform provides voices for many languages which
are normally used in the development of server-based speech
applications including the Zira Pro English voice. These voices can
also be used with the Rockbox Utility.

To use these voices, you will need to install two components:
*Microsoft Speech Platform - Runtime (Version 11), x86:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27225
Note that you must install the x86 version even if your system is 64.

*Microsoft Speech Platform - Runtime Languages (Version 11):
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27224
This page includes many files for both speech recognition and text-to-
speech. Choose the files containing the TTS data for the desired
languages/voices. For example, the file MSSpeech_TTS_en-US_ZiraPro.msi
is a U.S. English voice. You don't need to install the MSSpeech_SR MSI
files, as those are not voices, rather they are for speech
recognition.

Here's the audio tutorial for creating voice or talk files with the
Rockbox Utility:
http://www.blind-geek-zone.net/voice-and-talk-file-creation-using-the-rockbox-utility/

Regards,

Laz

--
Talking MP3 Players with stereo FM radio, voice recording, and
expandible memory! Priced under $100, plus free shipping in the US!

Listen to our Introduction to Talking MP3 Players:
http://www.blind-geek-zone.net/an-introduction-to-talking-mp3-players/

See our current special:

Join our mailing list by sending a blank email with the word subscribe
as the subject to:
tmp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Email:  laz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: lazmesa