[tmp] Re: Seeding up Talk File Generation with Rockbox Utility?

  • From: "Carol Pixley" <cpixley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 21:39:06 -0600

Yes, I think eSpeak is definitely an acquired taste. Someone on another list remarked that she'd just as soon have a root canal as listen to eSpeak.

Carol Pixley

-----Original Message----- From: Laz
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2014 5:46 PM
To: tmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tmp] Re: Seeding up Talk File Generation with Rockbox Utility?

Thank you for your input, Dave. Unfortunately the Flite synth and the
Rockbox utility do not get along in Windows, unlike Linux. Besides the
lag is in the creation of the voice file, not in the actual use of the
player. Most people prefer not to hear ESpeak, as that is the first
complaint when someone tries using NVDA for the first time and they're
not aware that the voice can be changed to a different variant or
speech synth altogether. Of all the different voices I have tried in
the last 5 years, the voices from the Microsoft Speech Platform 11
have proven to be the optimum solution for our players.

Regards,

Laz (the presenter)

On 2/3/14, D. A. H. <dhunt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm listening to the podcast on this topic, in which the presenter
observes that his computer is laggy while the talk files are being made.
  Maybe there'd be less lag if something like the flite tts engine were
used instead of the one he chose?  True, the voice won't sound as
pretty, but people may want to trade off some voice prettiness for
speed?  I use espeak for all my tts needs.

Cheers,

Dave  Hunt

--
Talking MP3 Players with stereo FM radio, voice recording, and
expandible memory! Priced under $100, plus free shipping in the US!

Listen to our Introduction to Talking MP3 Players:
http://www.blind-geek-zone.net/an-introduction-to-talking-mp3-players/

See our current special:

Join our mailing list by sending a blank email with the word subscribe
as the subject to:
tmp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Email:  laz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: lazmesa