[tmp] Re: Sanza firmware or RockBox

  • From: Laz <lazmesa6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 17:40:58 -0500

Hi Jessica,

When comparing the Sansa firmware to Rockbox, the Sansa firmware is
found to be lacking in features. Rockbox was created to take advantage
of the true capabilities of the player which the original firmware
does not. For example, the original Sansa firmware doesn't allow for
the player to speak. It also doesn't give you the control over the
settings in the same way that Rockbox does. In other words, the Sansa
firmware is limited in what it can do, and Rockbox opens the door to
the player's true capabilities.

If you give her a player running the Sansa firmware, you'll be limited
in what help you can give her as the two firmwares run very
differently and have different menu items and such. If you gave her a
rockboxed player and turned off the voice and the announcing of the
talk files, then you'd be in a better position to help her out as you
would be using the same firmware and the player would behave the same,
except for the voice of course.

HTH.

Best regards,

Laz

On 2/4/15, Jessica Brown <justforlistmessages531@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi. I am wondering what the differences and similarities between
> the Sanza firmware and RockBox are. I am pretty sure the Sanza
> Firmware does not talk. Is this true? Also, when you turn the
> Clip Zip on in the Sanza firmware, do you still get files and
> settings and fm radio and recording and all that? Is the menu
> layout the same? The reason I am asking is because my 11 year old
> cousin saw my Clip Zip and she wants 1 now. I might get her 1 or
> get myself something else and give her the 1 I have now. However,
> she can see, so she does not need the player to talk but she will
> need me to explain to her how to use it. She tried mine last
> night and could not get music playing. She only could get an
> audio book playing. Then she got stuck in that folder and I had
> to tell her how to get to the music folder. If the player does
> not talk and the menus in the Sanza firmware are different then
> in RockBox, I will not be able to help her learn how to use it.
> What do you think? Should I get her 1 with the Sanza firmware, or
> should I just get her 1 with RockBox and turn the voice off?

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 727-498-0121