[tmp] Re: Mildly OT: Quality of earphones

  • From: The New Vision Store <nvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:12:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
In high end audio circles, the Sehns are considered the strong low end. I mean folks who will pay $1000 or $2000 will tell you it's a good start to go with the Sehn open air design in their 650's. So saying that, which needs no rebuttle, I will add personally that I have a set of Sehns that were about $129 and are now selling at about $80. I like them. I like the Nakamichi's better, but they are delicately built, and aren't full surround. I will also say you'd have to go a good bit higher to get more clarity and dynamics out of AKG which are well known as studio. I've not tried these Sehns, but would give them a listen at that price. I don't like the ear-plug type as I can hear my breathing, and a throat-clearing can be emmensely loud.
but, the Apple earpods are not bad at $29 on amazon.
Laz sells a really inexpensive set that are well suited to the tiny mp3 players. They are softer on the highs, (reduces shrill) and are not trying to be a bass monster. I use them anywhere that the recordings may turn out to be shrill due to being an old, poor, low bit, or sibalant recording from a unit of the "under ipod" level. Just mho, a ribbon tweeter, electro stat, high end solid state fan. (meaning I don't like horns)

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014, alan wrote:

hello Jacob. alan from new York city in the u.s. did you say they were $45
u.s.? also can they stand loud i mean loud music or are they delicate?