[tinwhiskers] Re: tinwhiskers Digest V1 #70

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:31:47 -0400

Same here in New Hampshire USA, Mark.

And when you toss a compact fluorescent lamp away you are also tossing an
electronic ballast as well, not just a tube with phosphors in it and some
mercury.  The CFL Hg level is very small but when you toss millions of them
away, that's not an insignificant amount of mercury.

Recycling, which is what should have been legislated, not lead-free RoHS.

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments,LLC

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:24:19 +0200
From: "Niki Steenkamp" <niki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

I have been looking over some of the official RoHS documents and have seen that
there is an exemption on high temperature lead solder (more than 85% lead).
Not having done any more research on the subject I was
wondering:
* Why the exemption exists?
* Why not use more than 85% lead to circumvent the pure tin problem?
Maybe the temperature is unacceptably high?

I also noticed that mercury is limited but not banned in fluorescent lights.
Just thinking of the millions of fluorescent lights being dumped in landfills
each year I cannot see how this can be viewed as acceptable while ALL lead had
to be removed from electronics.  Furthermore, lead in batteries are exempt.
There is probably more lead in my car battery than in a thousand PC
motherboards and how many of these batteries end up in landfills each year?
Just seems strangely warped...

Regards,
Niki

E-mail Disclaimer
http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm

------------------------------

Subject: [tinwhiskers] Re: Exemption on high temperature lead solder
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:31:31 -0400
From: "Mason, Bert" <bertm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Abandon all rationality Ye who enter the world of RoHS and the EU.
Welcome to our world

Best Regards,

Bert Mason
Quality Engineer

Formation Inc.
Building 1
121 Whittendale Dr.
Moorestown, NJ 08057
Phone: 856-380-2956
Fax: 856-234-5242

From: "Parnagian, Ed" <ed.parnagian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:03:58 +0200

Hi, Bert!

Yes, it seems inconsistent with the stated objectives of RoHS, but it is a good
example of what pushing back with data can achieve.

These high lead-content solders all have very high melting points.  They are
used by device manufacturers to make internal interconnects in devices that
have very high power densities.

Best regards,
Ed

[...]

The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally
protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the
From: "Mike Finczak" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:53:08 -0400

Niki, Bert and Ed,

        Take a look at this article posted on TomsHardware regarding
        Nvidia GPU failures. The failures may have been caused by
        the use of High Lead solder.

        http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-GPU-failure,6248.html

Regards,
       Mike Finczak
       CopperCAD Design
       www.CopperCAD.com
       905-488-8958

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:25:47 +0200

Really good information, Mike!

This could really be another tip on the RoHS iceberg.  I believe that high
lead-content solders have been around for quite a few years, but this could be
that there is a "new" succeptibility for high lead solders associated with the
higher processing temperatures associated with
SAC305 assembly processes?

This looks like something that should be hitting the CPUs, as well.  The really
sad thing about this is that the general public is oblivious to the uncertain
product quality that they are laying down their money for.
And if anyone in industry tries to wake them, that person's employer will get a
blackeye, the we all know what that will result in for the employee.

Very troubling,
Ed

Just refer the general public to this Knol(a unit of knowledge, courtesy of
Google), published in Google's new on-line encyclopedia:

http://knol.google.com/k/steve-smith/tin-whiskers/e1osj187cpek/6#

Tell your local radio station, television station and newspaper anywhere in the
world that here is the Truth about a very controversial hot story.

Steve Smith

--
Best regards,

Steve Smith
www.consultingscientist.us

http://www.pickensplan.com/

------------------------------

From: Engelmaier@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:21:39 EDT

Hi Ed,
There are a number of possible and possibly interacting scenarios.
1) larger CPU chips are subject to larger 'global' and 'local' thermal
expansion mismatches-- using eutectic SnPb does help the 'global'
mismatch and there is a design solution for the 'local' mismatch;
2) the higher soldering T's required for SAC solders produce larger 'global'
and 'local' thermal expansion mismatches--that is a direct fault of RoHS;
3) reduced solder joint thickness [to reduce overall package thickness]
produces higher cyclic SJ strains for the same 'global' expansion mismatch.
Werner
Future workshops:
Pb-Free Soldering Processes: Survival, Quality, Reliability, September 3,
Stockholm, Sweden Reliability Issues with Lead-Free Soldering Processes,
September 22, Schaumburg Failure Mode and Root Cause Analyses Reliability
(Fatigue, Brittle Fracture, ENIG), September 22, Schaumburg Solder Joint
Reliability: Parts 1 & 4, Oct. 9, Moscow, Russia Solder Joint Reliability: Part
4, Oct. 17, Timisoara, Rumania Solder Joint
Reliability: Parts 1 & 4, Oct. 22, Tallinn, Estonia

**************

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:21:43 -0400
From: "Fritz, Dennis D." <DENNIS.D.FRITZ@xxxxxxxx>

What is being described here is the C4 technology of flip chips.  Here is a
Wikipedia link to the description of "Controlled Collapse Chip Connection" -
the C4.  High lead balls have been used in this application since IBM invented
this in the 60's, and I think this is the basis for the RoHS exemption.  Now
that eutectic or SAC are being considered, I would expect the RoHS exemption to
go away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip_chip

Denny Fritz, SAIC
________________________________

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:31:02 -0700
From: "White, Robert" <Robert.White@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't think it will go away anytime soon since the exemption is also used for
die attach in high power semi-conductors used in power diodes, IGBT's and
FET's. Power supplies, as well as many other applications, including power
conversion for all the new alternative energy solutions, require high power
semi-conductors.

Best Regards,

Bob White

Director of Safety and Environmental Compliance

Power-One, Inc.

Tel: (805) 384-5391

Cell: (805) 469-4347