[tinwhiskers] Re: the leachability study in the EPA article as it affects HR 2420 (the USA RoHS bill now in Congress)

  • From: "Patrick Bruneel" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:47:58 -0500

Bob,

The EPA used a synthetic procedure which my not reflect the real world.

Here’s a link to a report from a Palo Alto landfill with high lead CRT’s.

http://www.westp2net.org/hub/hub36/Is_this_ban_necessary_CRT_.pdf

There is also a report released by the Solid Waste Association of North America
(SWANA) Applied Research Foundation. Released in March 2004, this concluded
that heavy toxic metals, including lead, did not pose an existing or future
health threat in municipal solid waste landfills.

According to the authors, "The study presents extensive data that show that
heavy metal concentrations in leachate and landfill gas are generally far below
the limits that have been established to protect human health and the
environment."

http://www.swana.org/sections/press/pr_viewdetail.aspx?pressId=96

There are a lot more reports and studies on leaching but I can’t find them
right now (all saying lead doesn’t leach from landfills because lead oxidizes
fast and lead oxides don’t dissolve in water).

Regards,

  _____