[tinwhiskers] Re: the leachability study in the EPA article...

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 16:04:18 -0400

No no Jake my good friend!  The vapor pressure of lead at it's melting point is
infinitesimal.  Perhaps at the PPB level.
Note from this paper that even at 1118C the vapor pressure is just 5.7mm
(remember standard atm is 760mm).

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v26/i6/p851_1
The Vapor Pressures of Metals; a New Experimental Method
Rodebush, Worth H.; Dixon, Alfred L.
Physical Review, vol. 26, Issue 6, pp. 851-858

    Quasi-static method of measuring vapor pressures.-The vessel A containing
the liquid and surrounded by a furnace for maintaining a uniform temperature,
is connected by one tube C to a manometer M and a reservoir containing a
neutral gas such as nitrogen at a suitable pressure, and by another tube B to
an intermittent pump. Outside the furnace the two tubes are connected to
opposite sides of a differential manometer D. Successive portions of the
nitrogen are pumped off through B until the manometer D begins to show a
permanent difference of pressure; then the reading of M is the vapor pressure
desired. The action depends on the fact that when the pressure in M is less
than the vapor pressure, nitrogen can get from C to B to equalize any
difference of pressure caused by the pump, only by diffusion against the
up-streaming vapor in C, and inter-diffusion in the case of a tube 3 to 4 mm in
diameter is slow. A test of the method gave values for the vapor pressure of
mercury 170° to 203°C only.04 mm greater on the average than those of Smith and
Menzies. Vapor pressure of lead, 1118° to 1235°C was found to vary from 5.70 mm
to 19.70 mm in good agreement with the equation 10p(mm)=-10372T-10T-11.35,
which also fits the best results of Egerton at lower temperatures. The heat of
vaporization of lead at its melting point is calculated to be 46,300 cal. The
chemical constant comes out -1.40 which is close to the value -1.59 computed
from the quantum theory of monatomic gases.

DOI: 10.1103/PhysRev.26.851

Alas, there is now no lower limit for lead toxicity (according to the EPA).
Like Denny, I find that ludicrous.  Like others here, I'm no dummy and I've
been sniffing lead for many decades.

Proper recycling is what we need to be doing on a national scale.  But that
makes too much sense.

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments