[tinwhiskers] Very Bad Dream

  • From: "Gordon Davy" <gordondavy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 11:32:05 -0400

Bob Landman asks, "How in Heaven's name did we ever get to this horrible
situation?  It appears to be a very bad dream that we shall never awake
from...." How can we hope to awake from this very bad dream if we don't know
how we got into it? Here's my analysis; I invite others to comment.

We got into this situation because (1) environmental activists, needing a cause
so they could solicit contributions to maintain their cash flow, decided to
target the electronics industry, and (2) upon learning that they had been
targeted the leaders of the electronics industry, due to failure to recognize
where it would lead or fear of retribution, did not oppose the activists'
efforts with vigor.

The most successful environmental activist groups are the ones not with the
best environmental scientists but with the best public relations officers and
lobbyists (propagandists). The most successful electronics manufacturers are
the ones not with the best environmental scientists or public relations
officers and lobbyists, but with the best products and product marketing.

So even though the struggle may be portrayed as David vs. Goliath, recall that
David won because he was better prepared for that battle. (If you are
unfamiliar with the story, you can read it in 1 Samuel 17. Goliath, while
contemptuous of David because he was so much smaller and didn't even have
conventional weapons, never saw what hit him.)

How can we expect things not to keep getting worse? The activists still need
contributions flowing in, so they will keep inventing crises in their
"struggle" to, as one of them put it, "rid the biosphere of toxic materials."
And so far, perhaps because from their perspective the pain is not intolerable
and is shared by all, the captains of the electronics industry remain
inattentive or fearful.

While those of us who have to deal with the bad dream may find it satisfying to
blame the politicians, the reality is that the politicians are acting in
accordance with what they have to work with: lies and pressure from the
activists and silence from the activists' target. I don't think that, even
though we have the truth on our side, we technical weenies will be able to
reverse the trend by seeking legislative relief without eliciting an effective
and collective response from industry leadership.

I will leave it to others to offer suggestions about how we might do that.
Corporate leaders deal daily with all kinds of demands for their attention.
Those reporting to them are gatekeepers, screening out all but the most
pressing issues. And before we are too critical of the leaders' fear of
retribution from the activists, we might consider how brave we are willing to
be and how effective we might be in confronting them - the people who pay our
salaries.

Gordon Davy
Baltimore