[tinwhiskers] Re: Verizon Supports Telcordia's Position on the RoHS Directive

  • From: "Jayasinghe, Ryan" <Ryan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 13:53:14 -0700

Hello Bob,

Your points are well taken.

However I think that Verizon's position is valid, the RBOCS' five-nines
reliability requirement (99.999% uptime) can be compromised severely
with Pb-Free for the very issues you brought up.

Difficulty in getting parts is an issue. We have had some success in
getting some flip chip makers to go back to SnPb.

The need to maintain the SnPb process needs to be fed up the supply
chain, which we should have started back in 2003, but who new they were
all going to jump in this band wagon.

I have heard that high-reliability electronics manufactures are only 3%
of the components market, and the manufactures are bowing to the larger
commercial customers.

One important point, which I also brought up during the 2006 NEBS
Conference, can be found in Telcordia's GR-78 Issue 1. (Issue 2 is the
latest)

GR-78-CORE Physical Design and Manufacture of Telecommunications
Products:

Under "Requirements for All Products"

R2-21 [32] Where a novel or new technology is introduced by an equipment
manufacturer, the manufacturer shall demonstrate the reliability of such
technology. Accelerated testing will typically be required; alternate
approaches such as mathematical modeling may be acceptable if validity
can be demonstrated. Third-party (e.g., supplier) data may be
acceptable.

A novel or new technology may be one that has not previously been used,
one that has not previously been used in telecommunications, or one that
has not previously been used by the particular equipment manufacturer.
Reliability data shall be made available to the Network Operator, or its
designated representative, upon request.

This was acknowledged as a way one can introduce Pb-Free products to the
RBOCS.

But as we all know the hidden dangers of Pb-Free may not eke out in just
3 days of testing.

Ryan Jazz Jayasinghe

www.canoga.com <http://www.canoga.com/>

Compliance Engineer x1198
* Tel:       818 678 3898

* Fax:      818 678 3798

* E-mail: ryan@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto::ryan@xxxxxxxxxx>

**No one can make you feel inferior without your consent**
~Eleanor Roosevelt~