[tinwhiskers] Re: Verizon Supports Telcordia's Position on the RoHS Directive

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 19:21:30 -0400

Ryan,

I find it ironic that Verizon continues to ask that you keep the Pb in when,
but as we all know these past few years, we have great difficulty in getting
parts that are tin-lead plated.

Every day purchasing tells me of yet another part that is now unavailable and
we must find a substitute only to find that the so-called "substitute" is
lead-free.  Only recently on one part from Analog Devices, did the converse
hold true.  The distributor quoted 16 weeks and I blew a gasket.  Turned out
they had quoted the lead-free part which we had not requested a quote on!
Finally the truth came out - we could have the leaded part in 5-6 weeks
(standard delivery terms).  I was not amused.

Until we can find a way to force parts manufacturers to make them go back to
tin-lead solder plating parts, sure, we'll solder the parts down with tin-lead.

But tin whiskering will happen above the solder wetting point and we will have
reduced reliability.

Is Verizon willing to pay you what NASA and DOD pays for parts that get
recoated in tin-lead, one at a time?

I doubt it.

Bob Landman, President
Senior Member, IEEE PES