[tinwhiskers] Re: Toyota

  • From: Werner Engelmaier <engelmaier@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rod.dalitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:51:08 -0500

 Well Steve, this problem was necessarily 'foreseeable'—with Pb-free solders we
are learning about new failure modes nobody 'foresaw' on an ongoing basis. With
hindsight, everything is 'foreseeable—the question is how much time and
resources can you and can you not spend on testing when you do not even know
what you are looking for. All of this needs to be laid at the door steps of the
EU—forcing the industry into such a big unknown was/is unconscionable.
As I understand it, Toyota still does not understand the root cause of their
problem.
Werner