[tinwhiskers] Re: Toyota

  • From: Steve Smith <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 11:36:35 -0800

Not necessarily, Bob

Western culture influences the Western engineer to make it go right,
and to fail gracefully, and to design redundant backup systems and
circuits, because we seem to have an aggressive "Make it work" kind of
attitude.

Eastern culture is a more passive one, of enduring rather than
enforcing one's will on the physical universe (the long history of the
Warring States in ancient China not withstanding).

The Japanese culture gives a certain mindset that we Westerners have
difficulty in grasping. I do not pretend to fully understand it, but I
think that admission of being wrong or even contemplating a future in
which something one designs MIGHT go wrong is offensive to their
culture, and great apologies are called for when an offense is given,
or might have been given.

In the mid-eighties I had a fax machine, a very robust one (table-top
model, steel frame, must have weighed thirty pounds), made by a
Japanese company and sold by Pacific Bell. Every once in a while a
call would not go thru, or something would not happen just right.

In the display, the machine would display a text message of what did
not happen and then display: "So Sorry. Please excuse."

Every country has companies that design things that occasionally do
not work. the extraordinary history of years of Toyota influencing our
Government agency to not call it a failure if the person had his foot
on the brake when the car ran wild, and the lack of sensible
engineering "fail-safe" design bespeaks of a complete nonconfront of
the possibility of failure, much less its completely nonconfronted
consequences.

I would have had a little more respect for Toyota if, in the event of
a runaway, the machine at least had the decency to apologize.

Steve Smith

--
Best regards,
 Steve                            mailto:steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx