[tinwhiskers] Re: The compliance with EU materials dictates and the precautionary principal

  • From: Steve Smith <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "John Burke" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:16:54 -0700

John and all,

Please don't worry about this.

Stephen Hawking won a prize from the Gravitational Research Foundation
in 1973 for a landmark paper proving that black holes radiate, and
the smaller ones radiate faster, and the radiation rate increases very
rapidly as they get smaller.

That, incidentally, is why there are not any quantum black holes. They
are about as unstable as you could get, self-converting into radiation
in one Chronon (a quantum unit of time.  I have no idea how small it
is, but it's very small).

The mass-equivalence of 17 Tev is more than twelve orders of magnitude
below a microgram, according to my "The Energy Level of Things" on
my wall here.  I could have calculated it but it's been a long day and
this was faster.

Even if we could make a 100Kg black hole, we would need something
almost twenty orders of magnitude bigger than that piddly little
Large Hadron Collider.   Avogadro's number looks about right.

Relax.  Those folks publishing that paper evidently never read
Hawking's paper, or looked at the energy level of things.

Steve Smith

ps:  John, please forward to those other lists;  I'm not subscribed to
them.

--
Best regards,
 Steve                            mailto:steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx