[tinwhiskers] REACH SVHC list grows again - what about urethane polymers?

  • From: "Fritz, Dennis D." <DENNIS.D.FRITZ@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John Burke" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:08:20 -0500

All,

I remain very concerned because dinitro toluene is on the SVHC list.  This
chemical is the precursor of toluene diisocyanate (TDI).  See wikipedia
reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toluene_diisocyanate

I understand that there will be no dinitrotoluene in the urethane conformal
coatings, urethane paints, urethane elastomers, urethane foams.  However, how
will the production of 34% of the world urethanes be affected because they
depend on TDI and hence di-nitrotoluene for exisitance?

Will TDI based urethane intermediates be shut down in the EU?  Will everyone
around the world say - it's too much bother to keep making TDI based urethanes
- so we will blindly substitute some other urethane, not based on TDI?

What does the EU ban on one intermediate do to the house of cards of chemicals
derived from this one banned chemical?  Where in the world do others keep on
making this key ingredient?

Denny Fritz