[tinwhiskers] Re: R: Re: New study on coating to mitigate whiskers

  • From: Steve Smith <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "White, Robert" <Robert.White@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 12:14:49 -0700

What this appears to be saying is that within a year the Federal
Government is going to issue some sort of edict, and the States may
not issue their own. That's probably a good thing. Left to their own
devices, California would legislate science and Natural Law, as they
have in the past.

Those on this list in the U. S. A, please tell your elected
representatives that any forthcoming legislation in this area needs to
be in compliance with www.nepa.gov/nepa/regs/nepa/nepaeqia.htm which
basically requires an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) be prepared.

The change to pure-tin-finishes and the attendant risk of
tin-whisker-related failures, as well as this legislation itself, both
appear to require an EIR.

Steve Smith

WR> Wow! Thanks for posting this. RoHS USA makes it’s appearance.
WR> Wonder what means I can use to provide feedback on the exemptions
WR> listed in Section 4 (a). I guess we need to work through our local
WR> Representative of the House? Does anyone know if IPC or any other group is
mounting a response?

WR> Best Regards,

WR> Bob White
WR> Director of Safety and Environmental Compliance
WR> Power-One, Inc.
WR> Tel: +1 805 384-5391
WR> Fax: +1 805 987-3781
WR> robert.white@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:robert.white@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>