[tinwhiskers] Has Toyoda transitioned to lead free manufacturing?

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'\(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum\)'" <Leadfree@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 12:05:43 -0500

The question has been asked - is there evidence that Toyota has gone lead-free?
I found this discussion on SMTNET that discusses the topic
(we aren't the only ones debating this subject)

http://www.smtnet.com/Forums/index.cfm?fuseaction=view_thread&CFApp=1&Thread_ID=14597&#Message61142

Toyota developed their own lead free alloy
http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200016/000020001600A0589899.php

Quote" Several engineers are readying the Toyota recall press daily to see
whether Toyota - an early adapter of lead-free solder - is the first casualty."
unquote
http://retroworks.blogspot.com/2010/02/leadfree-solder-rohs-rumors.html

Quote "January 2001, we inaugurated our own company-wide lead free project,
starting activities and efforts to eliminate lead thoroughly" unquote
http://www.toyota-industries.com/csr/environment/product/erectoronic_02.html

Transforming Compliance into a Competitive Strategy
http://www.internetviz-newsletters.com/cincom/e_article000667816.cfm?x=,

(http://www.smtnet.com/Forums/Index.cfm?CFApp=1&Message_ID=61176)

Here's the details on their solder:

"A highly reliable Sn-Ag-Bi-In-Cu lead-free solder alloy was developed by
improving the melting property, the wettability and the mechanical property of
the Sn-Ag solder alloy which has a high thermal fatigue resistance due to the
addition of bismuth, indium and copper. The optimum alloy composition for the
Sn matrix is 2.5-3.0mass%Ag, 3.0mass%Bi, 1.0mass%In and 0.2-0.5mass%Cu. The
additional elemental bismuth contributed to the control of the solidus and
liquidus temperatures and the improvement of the wettability and tensile
strength. Indium contributed to the control of the solidus and liquidus
temperatures and the improvement of wettability. Copper contributed to the
improvement of the ductility which is degraded by the addition of bismuth. In
comparison with the Sn-3.5Ag eutectic solder, this new lead-free solder alloy
has a 19.DEG.C. lower solidus temperature, 6-7.DEG.C. lower liquidus
temperature, 4% higher spreading factor and 200% higher tensile strength. Its
elongation is equal to and above Sn-3.5Ag at 125.DEG.C. though it is half as
long as that of Sn-3.5Ag at 25.DEG.C.. It was confirmed that this new lead-free
solder joint has a high thermal fatigue resistance and the same electrochemical
reliability in comparison with the conventional Sn-37Pb solder joint. (author
abst.)"

I found the following report on their corporate website which is not clear
about the percentage of products which are lead free.  Of course, the
components we all buy, are mostly lead-free tin plated.
http://www.toyota-industries.com/csr/library/pdf2003/P18-25.pdf

"Under the European Union's end-of-life vehicle (ELV) directive*, the use of
lead, mercury, cadmium and hexavalent
chromium will be banned from all vehicles sold in Europe starting from July
Industries' Product Technology Subcommittee has established objectives aimed at
reducing the company's reliance on
substances of concern in all of its business activities including its
non-vehicle related businesses.
During FY 2002, Toyota Industries made changes to the design of parts that
previously contained lead, cadmium or
hexavalent chromium and switched to using alternative chemical substances.
Toyota Industries also asked its suppliers to
submit data regarding the inclusion and quantity of banned substances in
materials and parts supplied to the company,
and also requested that its suppliers submit plans for eventually phasing out
the use of banned substances. In addition,
Toyota Industries revised its in-house guidelines for substances of concern to
reflect the policy of banning certain
designated chemical substances."

"Lead-Free Circuit Boards

Lead contained in solder used in circuit boards has been
noted for polluting the environment when it is not properly
disposed of. Consequently, Toyota Industries is trying to
switch to lead-free solder in its circuit boards for its industrial
machinery, automobiles and textile machinery products.
When designing circuit boards with lead-free solder,
Toyota Industries had to overcome various issues such as the
high melting point of lead-free solder, which made it difficult
to control soldering temperatures while ensuring that parts
could stand the heat. However, Toyota Industries was
successful in overcoming these issues and in January 2003
began producing lead-free circuit boards for use in the
displays for one of its electric reach truck models."

Regards,

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments, LLC