[tinwhiskers] Fwd: Whiskers in Database

  • From: Steve Smith <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:25:15 -0700

Please contribute your tin-whisker information to

http://defectsdatabase.npl.co.uk/

Steve Smith

This is a forwarded message
From: Bob Willis <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Davide Di Maio - NPL Team"
<davide.di.maio@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 9:52:04 AM
Subject: Whiskers in Database

Thanks Steve, we would be more that happy to set up a specific category for
tin whiskers if people would like to contribute to the database.

If you can coordinate some images with the following information highlighted
wee can add them in and add in the Whisker section.

Just highlight one item per category with each image provided or delete all
but one item per category. We would also need a short description, probable
cause and possible solution.

Title: Tin Whisker

Description of Defect:

Probable Cause:

Possible Solution:

Number found:

Assembly Soldering Process:

Convection Reflow

General Assembly

Hand Soldering

Reflow Soldering

Selective Soldering

Unknown

Vapour Phase

Wave Soldering

Solder Alloy Option:

Lead-free

Tin/Lead

Unknown

Defect Category:

Assembly/soldering

Components

Field failure

Printed circuit board

Defect Location:

Field

Goods in Inspection

Process

Product Evaluation

Unknown

Product Volume:

Unknown

High (>500 per week)

Medium (10 to 50 per week)

Low (<10 per week)

Product Applications:

Automotives

Consumer/commercial

Medical

Military/aerospace

Telecommunications

Transportation

Other

Many thanks

Bob Willis

2 Fourth Ave, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 4HA England

Tel: (44) 1245 351502

Fax: (44) 1245 496123

Mobile: 07860 775858

 <http://www.ASKbobwillis.com> www.ASKbobwillis.com

New Bob Willis "Printed Board Inspection & Quality Control Workshop" 24th
March  <http://www.ASKbobwillis.com/faworkshops.pdf>
www.ASKbobwillis.com/faworkshops.pdf

"Troubleshooting Your Assembly Yields Workshop" 25th March
<http://www.askbobwillis.com/faworkshops.pdf>
www.ASKbobwillis.com/faworkshops.pdf

Book Bob's "Step by Step Failure Analysis Workshop" 22nd April
<http://www.askbobwillis.com/faworkshops.pdf>
www.ASKbobwillis.com/faworkshops.pdf

Best regards,

Steve Smith <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>