[tinwhiskers] Fwd: RE: RoHS

  • From: Steve Smith <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:18:58 -0700

I happen to know a metallurgical scientist.

Gordon, what do you think about this?

Steve Smith

This is a forwarded message
From: Bridgers, Gene <gbridger@xxxxxx>
To: <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Leidecker, Henning W.
\(GSFC-562.0\)" <henning.w.leidecker@xxxxxxxx>, "John Burke"
<john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, March 24, 2008, 7:52:12 AM
Subject: RoHS

Hello Bob,
As I read the 760G specification sheet, the benefit described was to
seal the connection area preventing humidity from getting to the area
that is likely to degrade and produce fret corrosion debrie.  I agree
that keeping the humidity away is very helpful to reduce the rate of
degredation.  If you are going to select such materials with rapid
degredation characterristics, you need to do more environmental
protection.  No argument from me.  That protection will delay the fret
corrosion for a longer time relative to what would exist very early
without the environmental protection.
I am not a metalurigical scientist, so I do not knoww the metalurigical
acceleration factors for tin-tin versus 30 u inches gold-gold.  I know
you can wearout gold-gold with enough vibration.  It has an end-of-life.
I lose sleep when trying to walk a middle ground.  I was very glad when
Dr Dave decided on a specific path, since I could adopt his
recommendation and then sleep soundly again.
Regards,
Gene

________________________________

        From: Bridgers, Gene [mailto:gbridger@xxxxxx]