[tinwhiskers] Re: Environmentally friendly electronics training course

  • From: "John Burke" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 23:20:24 -0700

Interesting point.

No it was not my intention ever to "push back" on organizations that in the
main are trying to improve the "health" of the planet, and I have subscribed
to a number of them over the years - mainly those concerned with the
provision of unpolluted drinking water in third World countries.

On Greenpeace, It is my belief (and could be mistaken) that on average they
do more good than bad. It is a pity that while highlighting the fact that
there is a huge amount of lead from electronics in the Chinese (and
elsewhere) poorly managed, and uncontrolled "recycling" areas (although
recycling is the wrong word entirely) that they fail to point out that the
issue is not to do with regular electronics but more to do with the
exploitive uncontrolled nature of the recycling facility where the work is
taking place.

I believe actually on that point that if they had actually to stepped back
and lobbied for more recycling controls, and in the process headed off the
RoHS lead in solders ban fiasco that they could have done far more good on a
planetary basis that any amount of elemental lab analysis of laptops which
to my mind was a pointless exercise.

But lets not miss the point; - it was the EU that legislated the case, not
Greenpeace. Maybe I need to reconsider that donation though...

I believe I will allow the attendees to state a preference for the
environmental non profit of their choice for my percentage of their course
fees.

John Burke

(408) 515 4992

  _____