[tinwhiskers] Re: Do-Gooders

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 02:20:00 -0400

Dear Gordon,

Global warming is a subject that none of us here is, I suspect, a subject
matter expert.

The subject in this forum is tin whiskers and we all have various degrees of
expert knowledge about the subject and that's what we should focus on.

I think it is counterproductive to go off on a tangent on a subject of which
there is considerable vocal disagreement.

I can't speak for how rational or irrational the science on global warming is.
I'm leaving that to the climate scientists and meterologists to sort out.

Besides, it seems to me that there's a lot of positive effects to come from
dealing with the potential threat of climate change.  Improved efficency in
energy consuming products for one.  New sources of energy for another.  Wind
turbines now are being built in Germany that will produce 7MW each!  Solar
(both PV and sterling engine), tidal, the potential of fusion (still off in the
future but still theoretically quite possible.  A fusion physicst friend
(retired from NRL) proposes fusion-fission as an intermediary solution as that
burns up the waste as it is being generated.

None of these developments would be seeing the major investments they are now
getting were it not for the recent spike in the price of oil.  And of course
the cartel cleverly lowers the price every time we get started on alternative
energy so the threat of global warming keeps the heat on (so to speak) to
develop these new sources to compete with oil.  And that's a good thing, don't
you think?  For no other reason than national security (economic as well as
defense).

So global warming turns out to be a tempest in a teapot, so what?  Plenty of
new jobs and industries are being created.
Isn't that's a lot better than continuing to burn fossil fuels, esp. coal?  It
seems so to me.

I have my hands full dealing with lead being removed from solder.   I'm content
to deal with that.

Bob