<TW>Weekend of 02 and 03 May 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:38:01 -0500

.=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.
     from Father Pat Umberger

.=:  V O L U M E   2 0 0 9 , Number 05-03 :=.

.=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

Fourth Sunday of Easter, Year B.
Weekend of 02 and 03 May 2009

.=:  R E F L E C T I O N    Q U E S T I O N S  :-.

Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said: "Leaders of the people and elders:
If we are being examined today about a good deed done to a cripple, namely,
by what means he was saved, then all of you and all the people of Israel
should know that it was in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazorean whom you
crucified, whom God raised from the dead; in his name this man stands before
you healed. Credit is given to Jesus.  When are we tempted to take credit
for what God does?  How do we give credit to God?  Does the way we credit
God inspire others to believe as well?

"He is the stone rejected by you, the builders, which has become the
cornerstone."  Who or what could the builders be rejecting that is destined
to become the cornerstone these days?

"The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Beloved,
we are God's children now; what we shall be has not yet been revealed."  Can
we honestly say that our lives are so different from the lives of others
that the world does not know us?  What does it mean to be one of God's
children?  As God's children how are we expected to treat one another?

"Jesus said: "I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for
the sheep."  Is there anyone for whom we would lay down our own lives? Would
anybody do that for us?

"A hired man, who is not a shepherd and whose sheep are not his own, sees a
wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away, and the wolf catches and
scatters them. This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the
sheep."  When do we act more like a hired hand than a shepherd?  What was
Jesus' motivation for laying down his life for us?

"I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, just as the
Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the
sheep."  Who are the people in our lives that we have this kind of
relationship with?

"I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead,
and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd." Who
are these "other sheep?"  When we speak, who really listens?  Are we
faithful to our call to lead them by our example?  To whom do we listen?  Do
we listen to a worthy example?  Would this person have enough concern to lay
down their life for us?

How are these Scriptures comforting?  Challenging?

.=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

Today we celebrate "Good Shepherd Sunday."  We have a chance to consider the
"shepherds" in our lives and also those who consider us their "shepherd." We
can think about the people we truly listen to.

As little children we likely paid close attention to our parents.
When they weren't within eyesight we could become agitated.  When shopping
we could panic when we couldn't see them.  We knew that when they were there
our needs would be met.  They would protect us.  We could trust in their
example and in their love for us and know that nothing could harm us as long
as they were around.

As we grew older we also put our trust in grandparents, babysitters and
teachers.  Some of them cared more about us than others.  We were able to
sense the ones who really loved and respected us.  We felt safe in their
care.  We could trust in their example as well.  We may have been wary of
others who seemed to fulfill their duty more out of obligation or because of
what they would be paid.  Although we felt reasonably safe it's likely that
we didn't feel completely safe.

Then the time came when we developed a certain independence.  We may have
rebelled a bit and developed interests in things that adults didn't
understand or approve of.  We may have started listening to voices that were
not necessarily loving or protective, but simply older, independent and a
bit dangerous.  We may have learned that following their example could lead
to trouble.  Trouble may have come our way.  We may have known that the love
our parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters remained, but were too
"grown up" to take advantage of close relationships with them.

As adults we need to choose the voices we listen to as well.  We can seek
God's will and wisdom or run after the things of this world.  We can be
faithful to our commitments as husbands, wives, employees and friends, or we
can jeopardize these commitments because we listen to voices that call us to
some very adult "danger."

How important it is for us to have a "Good Shepherd" in our lives, one who
would lay their life down for us.  As adults we sometimes are faced with
family members who are following dangerous voices.  It's our responsibility
then to step in with loving firmness and provide the protection they need
even if they don't feel that need themselves. We need to be parents and
grandparents rather than "best friends."  We need to provide guidance and
faith.  We need to be sure they're hearing the word of God.  We need to be
living examples of God's word.

This week we can strengthen our bond with Jesus, the "Good Shepherd." We can
strive to listen only to voices who listen to him.  We can provide that
example to those who listen to us.  We can protect and also be protected.

We can proclaim the Resurrection of Jesus by the way we live our lives and
by the example we set for others to follow. Have a good week!

(c)MMIX Fr. Pat Umberger.  This Spiritual Reflection is found each week at
the Web Site www.frpat.com. Feel free to link to this page or reproduce them
for parish use as long as this credit remains.

<TW>This Weekend is free, and comes from:
in Wisconsin U.S.A.
Web Site: www.frpat.com

      www.frpat.com/donation.htm

.=:  F O R W A R D I N G  :=.

You can also set your account to Vacation Mode there.