<TW>Weekend of 02 and 03 January 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 12:16:16 -0600

.=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.
     from Father Pat Umberger

I R E L A N D    2 0 1 0
In 2004 I led a wonderful Pilgrimage to Ireland, the Emerald Isle. Dates are
18-28 October 2010. Keep it in the back of your mind ... or start saving
your nickels. For now, let's pray for the success of this wonderful
Pilgrimage! If you're interested visit my Web Site and sign up for
informational e-mails.  www.frpat.com

Here's a great way to help Saint Patrick's Parish and have something to look
forward to all year long. Our Adesse Raffle Calendars offer a prize every
day in 2010 ... from $30 to $500 each day.  Prizes total $16,580.  No more
than 3000 calendars are sold.  If you're interested in helping out, just
follow the banner link from:  www.frpat.com

B I S H O P   L I S T E C K I
Chosen to be Eleventh Archbishop of Milwaukee?
We keep Bishop Listecki very much in our prayers!  So where does that leave
us.  Visit my Web Site for a complete explanation of how our new Bishop will
be chosen.  Just follow the link from:  www.frpat.com

.=:  V O L U M E   2 0 1 0 , Number 01-03 :=.

.=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

Feast of Epiphany, Year C.
Weekend of 02 and 03 January 2010

.=:  R E F L E C T I O N    Q U E S T I O N S  :-.
The Scriptures for this weekend are found here:
   http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/110109.shtml
"See, darkness covers the earth, and thick clouds cover the peoples; but
upon you the LORD shines, and over you appears his glory."  What is the
darkness that covers the earth these days?  The thick clouds that cover the
peoples?  How can the Lord shine through all this?

"Nations shall walk by your light, and kings by your shining radiance."  How
would the world change if all nations and rulers followed the Lord?  Whose
lives would change the most dramatically?

"Lord, every nation on earth will adore you."  What does it mean to adore?
Does this imply action?  What kind of action?

"It was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been
revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit: that the Gentiles
are coheirs, members of the same body, and copartners in the promise in
Christ Jesus through the gospel."  In our estimation who are the Gentiles?
What keeps us from allowing them to become members of the same body we
belong to, and co-partners with us?

"And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed for
their country by another way."  Why was Herod a danger? What was he trying
to protect or defend?

How are these Scriptures comforting?  Challenging?

.=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

With the Feast of Epiphany the Christmas Season ends.  How strange that
radio stations stop playing Christmas music the day after Christmas.  How
strange that decorations in many places come down when the "after Christmas"
sales begin.  As Christians we take a good long time to reflect upon what
has happened, without all the distractions of the season before Christmas.

Today Jesus is made known, by the Astrologers or Kings who came from a long
distance to find him.  We might ask ourselves why such important folk would
leave the comfort of their homes and palaces to venture out and follow a
star.  They were seeking something deeper and better, that's for sure.  They
saw the star at its rising and began to follow it.  They were not afraid to
take a risk!

Herod, another kind of leader, was threatened by the appearance of Jesus.
His actions were motivated by self-interest.  He wanted to preserve his
position and authority.  In his mind the world was not large enough for
something deeper and better.  He was content with his position of wealth and
power.

Today we come to the manger as well.  We are called to leave this place and
make known what happened on Christmas day.  Today many of us will take
blessed chalk to our homes and mark our doors with the symbols  2 0 + C + M
+ B + 10.  They represent the year, 2007 and the initials of the +
traditional names of the three Astrologers, Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar.
As we see the inscription when we return home we are reminded that our home
is God's home as well.  When we leave our homes we can make known the love
of a God who sent his only Son to be Emmanuel, God with us.

As we take down our lights and trees we can remember that Jesus is the true
light that conquered sin, death and darkness of all kinds.  As we follow the
light of Christ, we can help others to do so as well.  As we face adversity
with hope, we can help others understand that our hope comes from God.  As
we venture into a confusing world we can remain firm in our faith and
conviction, following in the footsteps of Jesus every step of the way.

Epiphany is more than the coming of Kings or Astrologers 2000 years ago.  It
is very much about us.  We are called to build a Holy Family that consists
of all people.  Nobody can be left out.  God will be with us to help us
bring all these things to pass.  We can trust in that!  Have a good week!

(c)MMX Fr. Pat Umberger.  This Spiritual Reflection is found each week at
the Web Site www.frpat.com. Feel free to link to this page or reproduce them
for parish use as long as this credit remains.

<TW>This Weekend is free, and comes from:
in Wisconsin U.S.A.
Web Site: www.frpat.com

      www.frpat.com/donation.htm

.=:  F O R W A R D I N G  :=.

You can also set your account to Vacation Mode there.