<TW>Weekend of 01 and 02 May 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 15:03:39 -0500

.=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.
     from Father Pat Umberger

I R E L A N D    2 0 1 0
$2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse
SHEET ARE NOW ONLINE! - SIGN UP NOW!
For the Itinerary for the trip. Follow the link from www.frpat.com  for
be a non-stop flight on American Airlines from O'Hare to Dublin. 18 or fewer
seats from La Crosse are available. If you're interested visit my Web Site
and sign up for informational e-mails.  www.frpat.com

.=:  V O L U M E   2 0 1 0 , Number 05-02 :=.

.=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

The Fifth Sunday of Easter, Year C.
Weekend of 17 and 18 April 2010

.=:  R E F L E C T I O N    Q U E S T I O N S  :-.
The Scriptures for this weekend are found here:
   www.nccbuscc.org/nab

They strengthened the spirits of the disciples and exhorted them to
persevere in the faith, saying, "It is necessary for us to undergo many
hardships to enter the kingdom of God."  What are the hardships we must
undergo as Christians?  When have we done so?  When have we tried to take an
easier, softer way?

"They appointed elders for them in each church and, with prayer and fasting,
commended them to the Lord in whom they had put their faith."  What
qualities would you expect them to look for in choosing and appointing
elders?

"I will praise your name for ever, my king and my God."  How can we praise
God's name with our actions rather than with our words?

I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, God's dwelling is with
the human race. He will dwell with them and they will be his people and God
himself will always be with them as their God."  How does God dwell with us?
In what ways does God remain faithful to us even when we aren't faithful to
God?

The One who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new."  How
does God "make all things new?"

"My children, I will be with you only a little while longer. I give you a
new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should
love one another.  This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if
you have love for one another."  In what ways does God want us to love one
another?  Why is this so difficult?  How should we love those we don't get
along with very well?

How are these Scriptures comforting?  Challenging?

.=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

Spring has sprung!  It's the month of May.  Flowers are blooming and
everything outside seems new and fresh.  What a revival after the long cold
winter.  It is almost beyond belief.

Sometimes in our lives we wonder if better times will ever come.  Due to
disappointments, unfaithfulness, illness and loss we can sometimes feel like
we're at the end of our rope.  We can yearn to get beyond the way things
are.  It can almost seem to us like bad will win out over good.

This weekend we remember that that isn't even possible!  As we hear in this
weekend's first reading, "It is necessary for us to undergo many hardships
to enter the kingdom of God."  Life doesn't always go the way we'd like.  If
we're honest, we'll admit that we grow the most in love and compassion
through the difficult times.  The time will come when the flowers bloom and
everything seems new and fresh.  That's God's promise!

As we anticipate Mother's Day we remember Mary the mother of Jesus as well.
She too, went through many difficulties and trials.  She became a mother as
a teenager, even before she was married.  She had to watch her son's friends
and disciples turn against him and watch him die on the cross.  She was
completely faithful to God.  She followed through with her commitment.  She
can be our model as we come together on this special day.

We are called to live as disciples, too.  As we hear in our Gospel this
weekend, "This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have
love for one another."  We can remember that all people are our sisters and
brothers.  We are called to love each and every one of them.

Many parents seem to have the talent to be able to love and accept all of
their children.  They seem to know what to say and what to do in order to
help their children feel loved.  Of course, they are not perfect.  But they
try very hard.  God calls us to love one another as sisters and brothers to
one another.

As we continue to glory in the wonderful season of Easter we recall that
Jesus overcame sin, darkness and death.  He calls us to live lives of
generosity, light and life.  We can listen to God's call too, to love one
another.  We can reach out in a special way to someone we don't understand
very well, or even to someone we don't particularly like.  We can do that as
children of God, grateful for what we have received and eager to share it
with others.  Have a good week!

(c)MMX Fr. Pat Umberger.  This Spiritual Reflection is found each week at
the Web Site www. frpat.com.  Feel free to link to this page or reproduce
them for parish use as long as this credit remains.

<TW>This Weekend is free, and comes from:
in Wisconsin U.S.A.
Web Site: www.frpat.com

      www.frpat.com/donation.htm

.=:  F O R W A R D I N G  :=.

You can also set your account to Vacation Mode there.