[THIN] winlogon.exe causing high utilization

  • From: Andrew Grubb <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:10:11 -0500

I've run into a problem with one of my customers with a whole bunch of thin
clients running desktop connections distributed across 2 XPe servers.  For
some reason, on one of the servers the CPU utilization pegs at close to 100%
by the end of the day.  When I check processes I notice several instances of
winlogon.exe, usually one per user, eating up all the CPU time.  This is
only happening to one of the two boxes, and only for desktop connections.  I
don't have the problem with any other published apps.  Only thing I can
think of that's different between servers is the one with problems also
hosts the IMA database.

The servers are dual processor DL380's running Win2k SP3 and MF XPe SP2/FR2.
Clients are all Wyse 3200 series CE based winterms.

Andrew Grubb - Senior Systems Engineer

Real Time Consultants, Inc.

andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>