[THIN] Re: win2k, iis and nfuse servers

  • From: Brian Lilley <Brian.Lilley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:48:22 +0100

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your response...

comments to your inline comments are inline with '*'s

thanks in advance...

> hi all
>
> We are building a shiney new Citrix farm on a Dell blade...
> there are currently 24 blades in the farm...
>
> As the farm is a pilot project, we have been asked to ensure
> that we spread out server functions across all the blades.  I
> was reluctant to do this because of the waste in compute
> power, but have a gun against my head..still there you go..
>
> So, I am forced to dedicate two of the blades as a DC and DNS
> boxes, and a further two servers as blanced web- Nfuse
> servers... which are to be load balanced...
>
> My questions are these..
>
> A) if I build the Nfuse servers with  win2k advanced server,
> IIS and chuck on Nfuse...

Are you using advanced server purely for NLB?
** yes... any comments??

> would I, at a later date, be able
> to install Metaframe XP (which requires server drive
> remapping),

When you say "requires" - is that because your user environment requires
it? Because it's not an automatic thing. I've never remapped the
Winframe / Metaframe server drives - simply because I've never needed
to.

** apparently the app we will be deploying is hard wired to the remapped
drives!! so I have a gun against my head a bit, I would rather not remap
either...such a pain!

> and expect IIS to continue to work under new
> drive mappings??  I guess it wouldn't be too much hastle to
> reinstall IIS and nfuse anyway?? would it.. am I missing something?

Personally, I'd just have the IIS / NFuse server(s) just doing that, not
being Metaframe servers, so wouldn't install it on them. Why are you
considering this? Is it a must? A question of there only being so much
hardware available?

** I wanted to make the most out of the hardware...but we do have 24 server
blades to play with...but app is hungry, some 100MB footprint!!

> B) I'm not to sure how the advanced windows 2000 server
> network load balancing works with IIS?  i.e. are the initial
> http requests load balanced? does it present a single ip
> address to the network or do the boxes have separate ip
> addresses?

A "virtual" IP address is used for connectivity. The load balancing
isn't as sophisticated as that in XPa (or above) though.

> If the win2k advanced server load balancing does
> present a single ip address, how would this work with Citrix
> metaframe servers should I install Xp onto these IIS servers
> at the later date?

Why?
** um, my thoughts were that, how would two citrix servers with the same IP
address work in a farm? how would ZDC differentiate between the two?  how
would the autoreconnect stuff work?  surely there would be mass confusion??

> C)why is the sky blue?

Why do you ask? ;-)
** you have to know these things being a dad, and I don't know the answer,
so stop being difficult and tell me :o)

> D)what is the average wind velocity of a ladden swallow?

0. (you said wind...)
** I'm full of wind...

Neil

** Thanks in advance Neil.....

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended
only for the individuals named above.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you should be aware that any
dissemination, distribution, forwarding or other duplication
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  The views
expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual author
and not necessarily those of Vivista Limited.
Prior to taking any action based upon this e-mail message
you should seek appropriate confirmation of its authenticity.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
notify the sender by using the e-mail reply facility.

This message has been checked for all known viruses on behalf of Vivista by
MessageLabs.

http://www.messagelabs.com or Email: mailsweeper.info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vivista formerly Securicor Information Systems for further information
http://www.vivista.co.uk