[THIN] Re: what are these prfxx.tmp files?

  • From: Steve Sullivan <SSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:17:24 -0700

When the user logs off and the profile is written to the network, if a file
is in use and cannot be overwritten, a prf*.tmp file is created instead.
Windows retries the overwrite every 60 seconds until the file is available,
deletes the original, and then renames the prf file to the name of the file
that was in use.

This often happens to NTUSER.DAT - you can usually tell which file is
"stuck" by the location and size of the prf file - should be almost exactly
the same as the file that's in use and can't be overwritten.

This usually happens because the user did not get a clean logoff, or has a
process still running on the server, or the user has several applications
open on several servers, closes them all within 5 seconds, and now all those
servers are trying to update the same profile at the same time!

I fought with this for a long time, and finally got it settled with
session-sharing. Users get all their published apps from the same server
(the one they start Program Neighborhood from.)

Hope this helps . . .

Steve

Steve Sullivan
Citrix Administrator