[THIN] vision of the future

  • From: "Lilley, Brian" <brian.lilley@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:06:25 +0100

Hi All,

Just a thought... provoked by a document on BrianMadden.com about the future
of terminal services in a .net word.

Here are my thoughts on TS's place in distributed computing beyond longhorn...
maybe by five years or more...certainly 8-10 years from now....how about
this...

ok, well where is it that we are heading?     ....not sure, but I think the
wish should look something like this...

full fat interactive flashy graphics applications, sometimes running on our
device..if we so choose, or, for performance/connectivity/security
reasons...some components of that app running on a mainframe/remote peer
device somewhere else...

maybe a solution...the future.....

"a combination of .net (Virtual Machine) technology mixed with a dose of TS
(screen scraping) provides us with our wishlist??

will we see the idea of web services/remoting taken a stage further and mixed
with screen scraping to see not only individual objects instantiated remotely,
but also individual components ran and screen scraped from remote machines.. a
user won't have a whole session/desktop on a remote machine, just that tiny
object+it's graphics rendering.....

the applics logic can run on a secure machine... the graphics rendering
running on a super fast machine.. or them all running locally on one
machine... "
....this is not so far away.. the layers of abstraction are already beginning
to take place in Longhorn.....

Bring back valves, all is forgiven.

Brianos

than buying more servers.