[THIN] Re: tool to restart a service if it's memory usage get s over a certai n amount

  • From: Martin Stephenson <martin.stephenson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:59:01 +1000

Had a bit more of a look around and found 2 more solutions.  One is
ServiceKeeper from www.activeplus.com.  This is commercial software
which I used years ago to keep buggy versions of IIS running.  The
product has been improved over the years and now you can have it
monitor services as well as processes and take appropriate actions,
like running a batch file to restart the spooler.

The 2nd solution is to used a facility built into Windows.  Run
perfmon.msc and from Performance Logs and Alerts, add an Alert for the
spoolsv.exe process (Printer Spooler).  When it hits your RAM
threshold you can have it trigger a script which runs a net stop
"Print Spooler" command.

You can also setup Alerts to run as scheduled jobs so that they can be
run in the background permanently, much like a service.

Martin.