[THIN] Re: thread quanta and chkroot.cmd thingy

  • From: "Timothy Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:34:03 -0400

Here is an opinion.  It is probably worth what you paid for it.

Changing from background to application mode has the effect of reducing the
quanta allowed for background threads by a factor of three (which is still
twice as long as used in the 2000 professional OS).  While the length of a
quanta varies (uni/multi-processor, and hal clock dependent), we are
generally talking about allowing the task to run for a maximum of 180 ms
(background mode) versus 60 ms (application mode) for a typical
multi-processor server.  Of course, only a few threads run to their full
quanta limit.

We performed some tests to show responsiveness to typical user actions in
the presence of computational background processing that would run to
quantum.  This test is similar to the tests in our white paper on enabling
hyper-threading.  We measure the time to complete a fairly common user task
(starting a simple app) and determine the difference between the average
time to complete versus the minimum time.  That difference reflects the
average responsiveness delay caused by the CPU bound task. Turning on
application mode reduced this average delay in half.  This responsiveness is
what users complain about when they say the system feels slow.  While we did
not run a maximum number of users test, I would expect that (unless paging
activity interfered), a server should be able to squeak in an extra user or
more with application mode enabled.  Is this a breath-taking? No, there are
far more important things to tune.  Is it worth doing?  Yes, it might keep
you from buying that extra server for a few more months.    There is no
doubting that reasonable minds might vary in opinion.

Confusion occurs in this area due to that it is intentionally poorly
documented, and has often changed quite a bit as new OS's come out.  NT and
2000 are very different, and even 2000 Professional and Server have nuances.
I have even seen reference in otherwise excellent books that claim
installing Terminal Services changes this behavior by default (which I
haven't seen -- perhaps this was the case under NT and the new book
revisions didn't catch the change?). By the way, at first glance the 2003
scheduler appears to be very close to 2000 here.

With slower hardware, context switching used to be a concern.  With today's
gigahertz plus hardware and crazy optimizations that Intel does, only
out-of-the-ordinary context switching should be a concern.  Simply put, four
additional context switches are negligible considering the amount of
instructions that will execute over 180ms.

There are server situations where background mode is appropriate.  For
example, the folks at MSC Software run a simulation center, where a typical
task is a complex number crunching exercise that takes from 2 hours to a
full day, even on the very high-end servers they use.

tim