[THIN] terminal servers vs. VMWare ACE

  • From: Durf <stygmata@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:29:02 -0500

Hi folks;

Is anyone out there looking at VMWare ACE as an alternative to Citrix
/ Terminal Services?
(http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ace_features.html)

The possiblity of being able to provide a user with a session that is,
in essence, their own complete virtual PC is pretty irresistable.

The two primary objections would seem to be scalability and cost --
while I can cram 30 average users onto a DL380, how many ACE desktop
sessions of XP would I be able to get for the same dollars, licensing
fees aside?

Bandwidth would also be an issue, but I assume the package that is
delivered to the client is accessed through a remote viewing app, and
if it isn't, it could be (just install VNC on the virtual desktop,
Remote Desktop...)

The featureset is so complelling, I do wonder if it is worth the price
point. Of course there are also various combinations, as you can run a
Virtual Terminal Server, but the model I'm thinking of is specifically
running virtual Desktop OS sessions for end-users.

Would anyone be tempted to swap, right now, if the Big Boss came
downstairs, frustrated with Terminal Services problems and waving
around a copy of a review of VMWare ACE and a budget?

--
'The difference between theory and practice is larger in practice than